March 20, 2013

Stitching Elastic To Bedsheet Corners

I often struggle while making my bed every morning for my bedsheet always keep coming off from the top edge of the mattress.I sincerely wished I had bedsheets with elastic sewn into the edges.But I never saw such fitting bedsheets in Indian Market.Atlast I thought to alter my bedsheets myself.Herez the tutorial to add elastic to corners of your bedsheet.

Things you need:
A Bedsheet that hangs enough to all the four edges.
Sewing Machine
Scissors
Four 7.5" good quality elastic of 1" width.
and finally will power to cut your bedsheets.


Measurement needed:
X is the extra bedsheet that hangs to a side.
X=Width of Bedsheet - Width of Mattress
                              2
If you wish to add elastic to all four corners then you have to adjust the length of the bedsheet, such that only X" hangs to top and the lower side of the mattress.

In my case
I added elastic only on the two top corners of the bedsheet.
My bed was 70" wide and bedsheet was 84" wide.
X=84"-70" =7"
          2
In other words 7" hangs to left and 7" hangs to right of the bed.

To add elastic to all corners I have to adjust the length of the bedsheet in such a way that the bedsheet is only 14" longer than the length of the mattress.So its only 7" that hangs to all the four sides of the mattress.

Method:
1.Now you have X and you have adjusted the length of the bedsheet as well.
2.Hem all the four sides of the bedsheet.
3.Cut a X" by X" square from all the corners of the bedsheet.

I cut a 7" by 7" square from the corners.
4.Now,at one such corner, keeping right sides together,stitch the 2 L shaped edges together as shown in figure.

5.After stitching I have this on the wrong side.
Stitch rest of the corners as well.
The right side looks like this.

6.Now mark at 10" to left and 10" to right of this new corner.
Do so for all the corners.So now you have 8 marks altogether, 2 each for all the 4 corners.This is where we will sew in our elastics.
7.Insert one end of 7.5" long elastic at the point marked at left side of a corner.To do this you have to rip the seam a bit to get the elastic into it as shown in figure.
 
Stitch the elastic in place firmly.
 Insert the other end of the elastic into the seam at the point marked on the right side of the corner and stitch the elastic in place as shown.

Repeat for the rest of the corners.
Now time to make the bed.
This is how it fits.
Good night.Sleep tight.

1 comment:

  1. I like Your post Thanks For sharing with us.SuperfineLifestyle.com Leading an e-commerce company in the USA. We provide online product like -
    bedding
    sheet
    pillows
    furniture
    wall-decoration

    ReplyDelete